The 5 bedroomed Swan Hotel had a stable block behind it, now converted to a skittle alley, large enough to accommodate seventeen horses, along with a forge, pigsties, cart sheds and a coach house.
William Curtis, born 1843, son of John and Elizabeth Curtis, the third of five children, was the landlord of the Swan Hotel in 1871 having married Emma Jane Stickland, born at Shilingstone 1845, in 1869.
They had two children, Elizabeth born in 1870 and William in 1871. Emma passed away in 1875 at the age of 30.
William remarried in 1876, to Jane T Eavis, born at Yenston in 1849. Jane’s parents were Samuel and Elizabeth Eavis. Samuel passed away in 1859. In 1871 Jane was living with her Aunty and Uncle at Coking Farm West Stour.
William had been the Quartermaster Sergeant for the Stalbridge Company of the Rifle Volunteers. They had two children, Jessie, born in 1878 and Sylvia in 1879. William passed away in 1883 aged 40.
Jane continued to run the hotel after the 1918 sale, assisted by her two daughters, Jessie and Sylvia, as tenants of the Charlton Brewery. She is still listed as the licensee in the 1927 Kellys directory passing away in in 1930, aged 79.
Phil Knott 2021
Back to Digital Archive