The School and Schoolhouse at Stalbridge Weston
At the 1918 Stalbridge Estate sale, Lot 116, the school and schoolhouse at Stalbridge Weston, with the schoolhouse let to Dorset County Council, and the school to the School Managers, was withdrawn prior to auction. The school closed in 1923. Miss Freemantle, the last teacher at the school, continued to rent the school house into the 1930s. The classroom was used as a public room, holding church services until 1974. Following the 1971 hut fire at Stourton Caundle, the two Sports Club table tennis teams rented the public room for home matches until the end of the 1972/ 3 Season, a popular location with the New Inn opposite.
In 1967, Edmund and Cornelia Nash took over the tenancy of the school house and were also the caretakers for the adjoining former classroom, taking over the tenancy of this room, following its closure for public use in 1974. They continued as the tenants for the next 20 years, until their daughter purchased the freehold of the property from the Salisbury Diocesan Board in 1994.
Phil Knott 2021