Lot 105, Stalbridge Weston
The 1918 estate sales ledger records that Lot 105, a pair of thatched cottages, was purchased by Mr. C Riley, for a sum of £100-0-0d. In the December of 1919 Mr. William (Bill) Stickland completed the purchase of the cottages for a sum of
£100-0-0d from a Mr. Alfred Trim.
Mr. Burrows purchased the cottages from Bill Stickland in 1949. The thatch roof was removed and, due to the rotten condition of the roof timbers, the entire roof was replaced and covered with clay tiles and the cottages converted to a single dwelling with an annex, now known as Shepherds. The property was then sold to a Miss Garratt, who had Garden Cottage erected in the rear garden, in 1954, for her housekeeper. Miss Pumphrett then purchased Shepherds from Miss Garratt.
The 1919 sale agreement, certificates and family photographs, are reproduced by the kind permission of Gordon Stickland. The certificates were awarded to his father William (Bill) for the productive wartime cultivation of the garden at the rear of Shepherds, where Garden Cottage now stands.
Phil Knott 2021