Henry and Leslie Hobbs
Henry E Hobbs was the pre-sale tenant of Lot 197, a tailors shop with living accommodation, located in Stalbridge High Street.
Henry, born in Stalbridge in 1852, was the fourth of six children born to Richard and Mary Ann Hobbs.
Richard, born in 1814, is listed in the 1861 census as a tailor, residing in Gold Street, along with his wife Mary, born in 1814 at Milborne Port. They had married 1841. Their eldest son George, born 1842, died 1919, worked alongside his father. Richard passed away in 1888, aged 75 and Mary in 1897 aged 83.
Henry married Fanny (nee Jerrome), born in 1859 at Kegworth, near Shardlow, Leicestershire, in 1889. They had four children Winifred born in 1890, Kathleen 1892, Muriel 1896 and Leslie 1897.
Henry passed away in 1926 and Leslie took over the business from his father. Leslie did not marry and is listed in 1939 as single, living in Gold Street, along with his unmarried sister Kathleen. Leslie, an opening batsman for the Stalbridge cricket team, also played tennis and was a well-known and respected member of the local community. He was a member of the Parish Council and secretary of the Stalbridge British Legion for many years. Leslie passed away in 1973.
The adjoining property, Lot 198, which provided the accommodation for the estate office, was sold to C and G Prideaux Ltd, proprietors of the milk factory in Gold Street, for a sum of £320.00d
e to edit.